Sunday 31 March 2013

Paul McCartney to retire from live performance

Beatle News can now reveal that Sir James Paul McCartney, Kt, MBE has confirmed that the recently announced world tour will be his last.



In an interview to be published in NME this Monday, Beatle Paul says,
"Well, I've gotta admit I'm getting a bit past it, aren't I?  I mean, I remember back in the 80s looking at Mick Jagger still doing that chicken dance into his 40s and thinking, 'You can't be doing that much longer Mick, I mean own up!' It turned out we could do it for a lot longer than we though but I don't want to get to the point where I'm pushed onstage in a wheelchair. I mean, I've had a pretty good run."

Olympic Sign
Sir Macca said that it was his appearance at the opening ceremony of the London Olympic Games that helped him make his decision.

"Yeah, that was a bit of a debacle, wasn't it?" His Fabness said.  "It went fine during the rehearsal but on the night, I've got this giant fookin' bell over me head and I couldn't hear a bloody thing!  And it made me think of that line, y'know? Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee."

Instrument helped
Lord Paul explained that part of his longevity as a live performer can be put down to his trademark Hofner violin bass.

"It was Elvis Costello who convinced me to pick it up again, cos he liked the sound," the music legend revealed for the first time ever, "and being such a dinky little bass, it's allowed me to go on a lot longer than I otherwise would have. I probably wouldn't be able to walk by now if I played anything else.  I mean, do you have any idea how heavy a Les Paul is?  There's a reason I only use it for three or four songs per show."

New projects
Baron Maccington said he would not be retiring from music completely and that he would be pursuing other projects after quitting the stage.

"Yeah, I've always wanted to try my hand at writing a Broadway musical.  And I've been in talks with producers about becoming a judge on American Idol."

Asked what he thought of the talent/reality program, the greatest living Englishman said, "I totally think it's the future of music, innit?  I mean, back when we were starting out, we were playing 8-hour sets in seedy bars in Hamburg every night.  These days, it's like you don't even have to sing 8 songs and you're world famous!  It's brilliant!  If we had something like that back in the early 60s, I reckon we really could've made it. Everyone knows the name of the guy who won American Idol two years ago.  Or girl... I can't quite remember, but that's mainly because I'm so old."

The full interview with Paul McCartney will be published in NME on Monday, April 1.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment